So I finally got a chance to get back out to the shop & do some more work on my truck last night. I've spent the last few nights helping a friend with a Subaru head gasket job but last night I got a solid 6 hours to work on my F-100 & I managed to accomplish alot. I didn't get as much done as I would have hoped but that's par for the course when it comes to working on a project like this it seems.
The first thing I got done was to install the Lokar Kick-down & throttle cables I bought from Summit Racing. I bought the longest kick-down (aka T.V. cable) they had at 72" but even that wasn't long enough for my original setup.
The transmission shift lever was on top originally which would have put the TV cable lever on the bottom. That meant I would have to run it towards the back of the truck & then re-route it forward towards the throttle body. Well that wasn't going to reach so I had to flip the shift lever down so I could put the T.V. cable lever on the top. This took way longer than I thought it would because I had to remove the transmission pan to get to the bolt that holds the shift lever in place. In order to flip the lever you have to pull a pin inside the pan that holds it in place & mine was too short to grab w/pliers. Not to pat myself on the back too much but I came up with a clever solution. I took the smallest drill bit I had & I turned it into the center of the pin just enough to grab it.I was then able to pull the pin with ease. Sadly, it took me over an hour to be struck by that lightning bolt of brilliance. Once I figured that out I was able to get it installed pretty quickly & route it up to the intake.
I also got my Lokar throttle cable installed last night. It's only a 24" throttle cable which isn't ideally long enough but I made it work as it is by running it under the intake and back towards the gas pedal. I still have to fabricate a bracket for both cables to attach to in order to hold them in place but that shouldn't take too long.
After spending a solid 5 hours working on getting my 2 cables routed & installed, I realized I still needed to bend & cut my brake lines so I could install those before the brake line tool kit had to get returned to my friend's shop. I've never routed brake lines before & while I'm satisfied with how they turned out, I'm not completely stoked on how I chose to route them. I basically ran them straight from the master cylinder down to the junction on the frame. It will definitely get the job done for now but some day I may decide to re-do them so that they look better & are a little more out of the way.
All-in-all, it was a very productive night out at the shop. I hadn't planned on staying until 12:30 am working on it but I have a tendency to get hyper focused on a project & I hate to leave it unfinished. At this point, I'm very close to having a road worthy truck. I picked up my driveshaft yesterday but I won't install it until I get the DJM Suspension shackles & hangers installed in the rear. I still need to come up with a solution for my column shifter linkage. I ordered 2 Thrush Turbo Mufflers so I still need to get a dual exhaust system installed, replace the shocks & I need to get some tires. Other than that I'm down to just a few minor details to button up with regards to the wiring & I'll have "Petunia" on the road. I can't wait to take her for her 1st test drive.